Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Will I ever run again?

Oh, the frustration!

I haven't run in a week all due to the fact that I have a shooting pain in my hip that sometimes radiates down my thigh. I first felt it a week and a half ago, but I ran on it twice--a 5.5 miler and a 9 miler--with little problems. I could feel something tight in the region but it didn't hobble me or slow me down. Last Monday I still felt it but decided to run with the Nike folks anyway. All was fine until the end of the run when it started to hurt. It didn't hurt before. I made it to the finish but began to hobble. I thought I may have pulled a groin muscle and took the rest of the week off. Now I'm beginning to think it's not a muscle problem. It only hurts when I step or stand on my right leg, a shooting pain that I can also feel down my thigh to my knee.

It's times like these that I realize how much an active lifestyle I have taken on in the last couple of years. Not being able to run or do other exercise activities has bummed me out. Before I was the guy who loved to just sit around and do nothing but watch TV and eat. While I still enjoy such moments, I can only bear doing nothing for a short period before I crave going out for a run. I'm hoping it will go away, but it doesn't seem like it will soon. I have an appointment on Thursday afternoon and hopefully the doc can figure out what to do. I've been tempted to run on it regardless of the problem, but I have to resist the urge or else I may wind up damaging myself for life.

Let's hope it's a quick recovery and I go back out for a run. It's sick that I miss running so much. Sick!

No comments: