Monday, January 09, 2006

01.07.2006: 16 Miles

Distance: 16 miles
Time: 3 hours
Location: Rose Bowl
Notes: I've been sick the last few days, so the last time I ran was a five miler on Monday. I was still feeling a little under the weather on Saturday morning but decided to give it a try and call it short if I didn't feel well. I felt fine for the first two miles, then one of the participants fell and I helped walk her to the aid station, which took about 15 minutes. When I started running again after we dropped her off, I felt stiff but thought that would go away soon enough. It didn't. I felt stiff the rest of the way and added exhaustion soon after. Gina joined me about four miles in to the run and she was the reason I kept on going. I was kidding around with her by whining most of the way, but after a while I wasn't kidding around very much any more. I really was whining. I felt horrible pretty much the entire 16 miles, and I probably should have called it a short day, but Gina didn't want me to. So I ran and ran. Even on days where I have a bad run, I usually feel good at the finish. Not yesterday. I felt sick for a while after I finished running. All I wanted to do was sit and go to sleep. At least I got my 16 miles in, as painful and miserable as it was. This weekend is a step-back week, just an 8 miler, then we go back up to 18 miles in two weeks.

This whole season has felt like two steps forward, two steps back. When I was working on my papers in December, I took two weeks off running and it took two weeks to get back into feeling like my old self. Even at that, though, I have had three tough long runs (12, 14, and now 16 miles). I usually have one bad long run followed by a great one. Being sick this week robbed me of a few days of quality running just when I felt like I was getting back in the groove. I have two more months until L.A., and right now I doubt I can accomplish my goal of finishing under four hours. I'll have to work hard the next few weeks and stick to a regimen. I also need to get serious about nutrition and hopefully lose some weight.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Hey, I really like the quality of your blog. Very interesting indeed!

I have a pink ugg boot for sale
site. It's mostly about pink ugg boot for sale
related stuff.

Come see us if you get time :-)

Nic said...

Never underestimate the power of race day adrenaline! You will be tapering in no time - and that's when you will start to see the results. Stay focused!

Kim said...

It never ceases to amaze me of the quality content in blogs. Yours is good.

We have a sheep skin slipper half collar
site. It full of sheep skin slipper half collar
information.

Come have coffee sometimes.