Sunday, March 16, 2008

03.15.2008 - 7 Miles

Distance: 7 miles approx.
Time: 1:04
Where: Rose Bowl (south side)

After a flurry of e-mails and texts and concern over the fact that the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure will be taking place at the Rose Bowl on Saturday morning, I wound up doing the run by myself. I had to be there any way for my swim lessons, but I could have slept in. Ultimately I'm glad I ran because Sunday turned out to be a very, very lazy day. I haven't left my apartment all day. Is there even a world outside my studio?

The run went well even if I wasn't feeling it for the first two miles. By the time I hit the horse stables I was warmed up. As I ran past the baseball fields I tried to keep an eye out for FJ since he was going to be there for his kids' Little League games. It turned out he was the one who spotted me. Trying to spot him amongst the other Dads was a tougher task than I expected.

I hadn't run anything more than four miles since the marathon, so I was a little rusty. I was a little tired by mile four but I still had enough energy to finish strongly but the legs felt heavy and tired.

Right after I went for my last swim lesson at the Aquatics Center. In three lessons I've made some progress. I'm more confident about my breathing and my form has improved. I even made it from one end of the pool to the other a few times. 25 meters in one try! Now if I can only do that 32 more times straight I might be able to do a sprint triathlon.

We also worked on treading water (egg beaters) but that still needs practice. I think once I've got that figured out, I'd feel more confident about going into the deep end. I'm not yet a swimmer, but I'm working on it.

No comments: