Tuesday, May 31, 2005

05.31.2005: 3 Mile Island

Distance: 3 miles (slightly more)
Time: 30 minutes
Where: Treadmill at the 24 Hour Fitness in Santa Monica

There was a time when all the running I ever did was on the treadmill at the gym. It accomodated my lazy tendency to watch TV and a fitness activity, so I made a go at it. Since I began Team in Training, however, I've grown to detest running on the treadmill. I still do so often, but it's not something I enjoy. I doubt I ever enjoyed it. In fact, I think it's a lot more taxing to run on the treadmill than outside. For some reason, running on the treadmill is tougher on my legs than running outside. It probably has something to do with maintaining a certain stride to ensure I don't fall off the machine. Then there's the static electricity factor. Very often, when I run on the treadmill, I generate enough friction with each step that I'm guaranteed to shock myself should I touch the machine at any time. It's an annoyance.

Every time I wear my L.A. Marathon shirt, I feel like I'm boasting of my accomplishment, but then again, I have every right to boast. The shirt marks me as a marathon finisher--that or someone who registered for the race just for the shirt. Still, I feel like I'm bragging about my accomplishment when I wear the shirt. That feeling goes away, though, when I spy a rickety old man at the gym wearing a similar marathon shirt. How tough could it be if a frail old man can run it? To make myself feel better I tell myself that his grandson, the professional marathon runner, gave him the shirt as a tribute. Yes, that's the ticket.

On the topic of Dri-Fit clothing, I think I've been spoiled. My cotton shirt was drenched in sweat halfway through my thirty minute run today. I had to adjust the shirt several times and I felt like it was dragging me down. The shirt clung to my body and it made for an uncomfortable run. If only Dri-Fit tops weren't so expensive, that's all I would ever wear to the gym.

Tomorrow I rest.

No comments: