Friday, March 10, 2006

life gets in the way

I haven't posted in a while because life has been incredibly busy, well, mostly school has been taking up much of my time. It has been a flurry of reading, writing, and presentations for me, and it has cut in to my running time. I'm having doubts about being able to run a strong race next weekend because I've cut back on my running the last three weeks. I've done a couple of long runs (10 miles) on the weekends, but I'm lucky to get in another run during the week. I ran the wilderness trails in Claremont yesterday in a good time, but it wasn't fun. A lot of my doubts must be psychological, but I would love to be able to say that I'm heading into the race next weekend in top physical shape. Sadly, I'm not. I'm probably heavier than I was last year. I was hoping to shave off about ten pounds by marathon time, but I failed.

Regardless, I'll push for sub-4 hour time. I'm sure I've got it in me. It's just a matter of how much I want it. I did the math last night, and if I maintain a 9:00/mile pace, I'll be crossing the finish line at 3:55:48. That's good enough for me. This weekend is the last long run (8 miles). I'm doing the aid station, so if I want to run I'll need to get in early and do so. I have spring break next week, too, so perhaps I can get in one last good run on Tuesday and/or Wednesday. I'll book a massage on Thursday, and rest up for the marathon. As much as I'm nervous about it, I'm also quite excited.

Have fun!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

You probably already know this, but at this point any running next week can't really help you physically but could actually hurt your times at LA if you work too hard. Of course any running is a big mental boost.

Best of luck on the 19. You put int the work as best as you could and now your are benefitting from the rest. I really hope you break the 4:00 mark. I'm still shooting for that goal myself someday and love it when fellow bloggers are able to meet it.