Monday, May 05, 2008

05.04.2008 - 18 Miles

Distance: 18 miles
Time: 2:49:15
Where: Rose Bowl

It probably wasn't ideal to run 18 miles a day after running a strenuous, hilly 6.2 miles. It's ill-advised, to say the least. But I did it and I felt it early on. Rachel ran the first half with me and we were both complaining of feeling stiff, her from having not run much as of late and me from the day before. Three miles in and I was still not loosened up. We wound up running the nine miles in 1:27, though, even with a couple of extended walk breaks.

The weather was suited for my 18. Katie said she might run the second half with me, but she probably couldn't find a babysitter because she was nowhere in sight when Rachel and I made it back. I ran the second half on my own, and with the weather being fine--overcast and cool--I made good time. I was telling myself that I can abandon the 18 miler and do 16 instead when my legs can't handle it any more. My longest run so far was 13 miles, so adding five miles was a big step, but I persevered and went all the way. It didn't feel good, though. On the way back from the horse stables, with about four miles left to go, my tired, sore legs were having a tough time of it. However, the legs weren't the biggest issue. Even though they felt heavy I could move very well. The big problem was the side stitch that had developed early in the second half. It didn't bother me at first, but on the way back it became an aggravation, enough for me to slow down.

I ran the last 4 miles slower, running at a 10 minute pace most likely. If I am to do San Diego next month, I ought to run my 20 miler this weekend. We'll see if that is in the cards.

6.2 miles + 18 miles = 24.2 miles this weekend. None too shabby.

No comments: