Tuesday, August 16, 2005

08.14.2005: America's Finest City Half Marathon

Distance: 13.1 miles
Time: 1:49:28 ***PERSONAL RECORD***
Location: San Diego, CA
Notes: I haven't updated this training log for a week. There really wasn't anything to update in the past week since I barely did any running. I went to hill training on Tuesday night but my hip and right shin were bothering me, so I called it an early night and just cheered everyone on. I didn't run for the next four days, and I didn't miss it at all. I was feeling a bit burned out by running lately, so I think the break was a good idea. The rest got me in shape for this weekend's America's Finest City Half Marathon in San Diego. After my showing, my enthusiasm for running has been revived.

My goal for the run was to run under 1:50. My previous half marathon was a 1:55, so five minutes was a lot but still manageable amount of time to trim. I felt great throughout. The course started on a downhill for the first three miles. It flattens out for most of the way, and, with about a mile and a half left, a mile long hill towards the finish. The placement of the hill on the course made it a difficult challenge, even though it wasn't steep. I took one unplanned walk break when I felt like I was going to crap my pants as I ran up the hill. I miscalculated my tactic on the hill. I sped up too early, thinking that the peak of the hill was at the turn. However, when I got to the turn, I encountered yet another, steeper, hill. That wasn't fun. Still, my pace early on helped propel me to a strong finish.

To get to the race, I had to get up at 2am on Sunday morning. I ate a bowl of oatmeal and a banana, and I drove down to Coach Katie's house. We picked up Darren in downtown, and by 3:30 am, we were speeding down I-5 towards San Diego. It only took us an hour and a half to get to San Diego. Driving with Coach Katie was fun. She's a great lady.

I worried that the lack of sleep would affect my running, but it didn't. It just wore me out by the time I got home. When I finally got home, I took a shower, checked my e-mail and fell asleep by 7pm. I slept for over 12 hours.

Tonight was the first Nike training run for the Run Hit Wonder on September 24 (Fountains of Wayne are playing!). I was only planning to run 3 miles at a comfortable pace, but when I got there I was itching to do five miles--and it wasn't a relaxed pace. Pushed by Kiley, I wound up running my fast fastest five miles on the Nike course through Pasadena, a sub 8:30 pace. Now I feel the soreness on my calf even more. I may have to take it easy on hills tomorrow.

No comments: