Monday, October 24, 2005

Another marathon down

I wanted to write a long post about the Nike [Women's] Marathon, but now I'm too sleepy to do so. So here's the nitty gritty.

TIME: 4:21:02
Bib number: 1797
PACE: 9:57/mile
PLACEMENT: 814 out of 4688 marathon finishers
GENDER: 124/409 male runners
AGE DIVISION (M 25-29): 28/77

I made my goal of finishing under 4:30, but quite a way from my very optimistic wish of finishing in four hours. I realized that was out of the question early on and concentrated on finishing under 10 min/mile. That almost didn't happen as I started slowing down at about mile 19. Cramps on my calves came on in mile 16 and went away after mile 17 only to come back in mile 22 accompanied by additional cramping on the muscle above my right knee and shot up to the inside of that leg up to my groin. The fact that I kept the pace to under 12 min/mile for the rest of race and ran the last 1.2 miles in 11:15 was a good thing.

A longer post to follow with pictures. I promise.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Hey! Congratulations on completing your marathon! Good job and great time too. San Francisco is a tough course, so to run the time you ran is really good. Congratulations again!

Nic said...

Congrats! I ran the race, too. I'm normally a 4 hour marathoner and I ran a 4:23. It was a difficult course.

Now onto the next race...