Friday, October 21, 2005

I Must Sleep Well!

I thought that last post was going to be my last prior to the marathon, but here's one more.

I spent a few minutes tonight looking at the course map of the race on the Nike Marathon website. After studying it for a bit, it seems a little less daunting. The worst hills appear to be early in the race, between miles six and seven and between eight and nine. The first hill is an almost 200-foot climb. I guess I'll find out how hard it is on Sunday. The main thing is to recover on the downhills. I think the fact that I've been running the Claremont Wilderness Park will help me out. I haven't mastered that course yet, but I think I'm smarter and more aggressive because of it.

While driving from work this evening I thought about the race and what significance this second race holds. The first was momentous. The first! I think this one is a race for pride. I want to be able to hold my head up and say I ran a hell of a race. The next race will just be for shits and giggles. I'm still going to give it my all, but it won't have the baggage the first had. However, that is only true if I run a strong race this weekend. If I pull up lame again, then I'll have to pull a Michelle Kwan and try, try again.

Here's to pulling a Tara Lipinski.

No comments: