Sunday, November 06, 2005

"liar, liar everything's on fire..."

The spring team ran five miles today, and I ran along with them. I'm still taking it easy and wound up doing it in a very easy 12 minute pace, including frequent stops to chat with others along the way. I think it's six miles next week. I won't be doing that one since I'm in charge of the aid station. I'm still in the mindset that this is still the fall season and that I'm all done with aid stations, but alas, it's a new season and I have three aid stations to operate this time, including the 20 miler in January. I can always make up the six miler easily. I may even try to get up early on Saturday and get the run in before the team does.

Afterwards it was breakfast, and perhaps I was just really hungry, but I don't remember the food being ever so good at Wild Thyme as it was today. Everything was perfect. My eggs-over-easy were not underdone, the potato pancakes were golden brown, and the bacon were the perfect crispiness. Even the toast was perfect.

I'm quite excited about the Turkey Trot coming up on the 20th where I'll be running a 5K. I have it as a goal to finish under 22 minutes. I don't think I give it my all when I run because I hate the exertion. Yes, I'm a wuss. I want everything to be as easy and comfortable as possible. If I maintain a pace just under 7 minutes/mile pace, then a sub-22 minute 5K is possible.

The rest of the day was a bit of a waste. I enjoyed it, mind you, but I didn't quite accomplish all the things I needed to get done today for school. When I got home--around 1:30PM--I took an hour nap. I was so tired that I napped before showering. I then showered and did my laundry.

One of the things I needed to do was watch Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love for my postmodern melodrama class. I'm presenting on it on Thursday. What an excellent, lovely, yet ultimately pessimistic film. It's a film deliriously in love with the feeling of love but in such a way that it negates the possibility of happiness through marriage and monogamy. The key word is "feeling." The film feels--and looks--like the warm, cozy confines of love. It's a paean to old, romantic films and songs of a bygone era. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung cannot be more glamorous and alluring than in this film. I fell in love with Tony Leung in this film. And Maggie Cheung's cheongsams! Hot damn! I need to watch it again and this time take notes of things I should discuss for the class. I'm glad I signed up for this one.

After the luxurious experience of watching In the Mood for Love I watched some TV, "Most Outrageous Moments on TV 3" on NBC and a Filipino horror movie called Sigaw (The Echo) (Note: The word "sigaw" translates into "scream" or "yell," but they have opted to translate the title to The Echo. They probably did so since "Scream" has already been used, and the title does work with relation to the film's story.) I'm generally not a big fan of Filipino movies, but this one was sufficiently scary and creepy that it kept me watching despite the plot holes and the general unbelievability of the plot. "Outrageous Moments 3" had quite a few good laughs. These cheesy clip shows are a guilty pleasure of mine. I watch them and I am always entertained. News anchors flubbing their lines and uttering double-entendres are always good for a laugh.

With that, I neglected to read deep into Melville's Pierre and to start on my prospectus and bibliography for the film class. I think I'll write on In the Mood for Love. I also have to start reading that Melville biography so I can begin that paper. It's going to be a lot of writing.

Tomorrow: sushi, perhaps a viewing of Saw II, and hopefully, finishing Pierre.

No comments: