Saturday, March 13, 2010

Another Marathon in One Week!

Tonight I ran my last long-ish run until the marathon--a little over eight miles. It went well except for when thinking about food early in the run made me totally hungry. I thought about stopping by Bob's Doughnuts at the Farmers Market to pick up an apple fritter, but I didn't have any cash on me, just a credit card. Believe me, had I cash on me I would have made that pit stop.

I was able to get my mind off of food enough to finish the run with little trouble. My right shin is still tender, but hopefully the lack of running in the next few days will help it a little. It doesn't give me any problems running but it is tender to the touch. I'll have to get it checked out if it doesn't go away.

Since it was late by the time I finished, I grabbed a breakfast for dinner at the newly opened Novel Cafe. The food was decent, but I think the place could afford to be cozier. If it were, it would be a great spot to read a book and hang. So far it seems to cater to a primarily Korean clientele, which surprises me even though it is Koreatown after all. I thought it might attract the growing number of hipsters living in the area, but maybe in a few weeks they'll come out of the woodwork.

With about a week left until the marathon, I thought back to how I felt at this time during my first marathon. Then I was so nervous. I was terrified and excited at the same time. Now, though, this is almost routine. I don't get nervous as I used to, maybe only a few hours before, and it's no longer as daunting as I once imagined. The marathon is still hard, but having run a few now, I've demystified it. It's a challenge but one I can handle. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself.

No comments: