Sunday, July 24, 2005

07.23.2005: 12 miles and some thoughts on my ass

Distance: 12 miles
Time: 2:02:58
Location: Rose Bowl
Notes: This was yet another struggle. I felt better than the six miler, but the distance and the weather still made it a difficult run. We are also getting into distances I have not run in months. The last time I ran twelve miles was in April, and that was at a slower pace. Kiley and I ran together since FJ decided to drop a pace group because he wasn't feeling 100% and Camille was told to aqua-jog because of a possible stress fracture. I kept up with Kiley until the end, when I faded quickly with about two miles left. I don't think I so much faded as I couldn't maintain Kiley's pace. I told Kiley to run ahead and I'll try to keep up. I never caught up to him. He finished two minutes ahead of me after I took a two minute walk break to summon up as much energy for the final push. My main motivation for the last two miles was to finish so that I can sit down in a shade and catch my breath. As always, finishing a long--and difficult--run like that is incredibly fulfilling. There's nothing like crossing that crosswalk and giving your teammates a high five.

During the run I kicked the cut on my anke again. It hadn't fully healed over, so it bled once again. I need to stop kicking myself.

I won't be running the 14 miler next week with the team since I'm manning the aid station. Right now, it looks like I will be up by JPL handing out Gatorade, but that might change considering how difficult it is to get the supplies to the station. I have to park a long way away and haul the stuff down to the station. I'm also trying to figure out when I'll get my 14 miles in. I'm considering coming in very early on Saturday before practice starts 5 am, to get in my run, but knowing how hard it is to wake up that is unlikely. I may just do it on Sunday morning. I'll map out a course around West Covina/Walnut and run it early on Sunday.

Running and working out has a lot of benefits. Health, of course, but for some reason, nothing gladdens me more than being told I have a nice ass. When I was younger and huskier, I had no ass. Since running, I've been told quite a few times that I have nice ass, and on occasion, a bubble butt. I was looking at my ass this morning as I was getting dressed, and I noticed that I do fill the back of my jeans rather nicely. I don't know what good will come out of having a nice, round ass, but being told I have one makes me happy. It's superficial, I know, but I'll take any compliment I can get.

No comments: