Tuesday, June 19, 2007

New York Times Wedding Announcement of the Week

I love to run, so it was a no-brainer to select a couple that emphasized marathon training as part of their courtship.

Yun Cho and Peter Lyons

Admittedly I started running with the hopes that I'd meet someone through it, and while I've met plenty of people, I have yet to land a date because of it. Almost three years later, hundreds--if not thousands--of dollars spent on shoes, gear, registration fees, hotel and travel, all I have to show are medals and bibs in a plastic bag. I guess I'm healthier than I've ever been, but I'd gladly trade a little of it for some action.

Back to our couple. Running wasn't how they met, but it did seem to unite them together. Ms. Cho and Mr. Lyons had known each other for twenty years but never got beyond the "acquaintance" phase. Years of bumping into each other finally led to a date, then love. Mr. Lyons proposed during a training run for a half marathon. Ms. Cho's reaction, though, is a bit telling.

“I had absolutely no idea it was coming,” she said. “Who proposes when you’re going on a run?”


Is she unhappy with how he proposed? Would she rather have done it on DiamondVision at Yankee Stadium? I'm probably taking it out of context. She's just emphasizing how unexpected the proposal was. It's not the most extravagant proposal, but it's certainly thoughtful and effective in surprising her.

Congratulations!

No comments: