Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Song of the Week: "Small Planet"



Download: Ferraby Lionheart - "Small Planet"

Even at my advanced age I still harbor a faint dream of becoming a musician. First, though, I'll have to learn an instrument, and with that in mind, I asked my sister to buy me a ukulele while she was in Hawaii last week for our cousin's wedding. Still, I'm not deluded enough to think that it will come true, but there's nothing wrong with fantasizing.

Had I enough talent to become a musician I would like to think that the songs I write will sound just like Ferraby Lionheart's (that name!). Warm, witty, dreamy and heartfelt, Lionheart's EP was the soundtrack to the last holiday season, and it is with great eagerness that I anticipate his first full length, Catch the Brass Ring, which will be released on September 4.

This week's song--"Small Planet"--comes from that upcoming LP. It may not be the best song of Mr. Lionheart's ouvre but it is representative of his bemused viewpoint on love and heartbreak. In it he tries to persuade his One and Only to be his one and only. It's not an original theme but Lionheart handles it with an arresting sincerity that sidesteps being cloying and provides some originality in expressing the sentiment. "This planet's small enough for two" is the freshest variation I've heard of saying that there's someone out there for you.

If there's any sense in the music world, Ferraby Lionheart would be the It troubadour of 2007. It won't be long!

No comments: