Monday, March 26, 2007

The Body Says No

Believing that I was recovering from my knee injury, I thought it might be safe to ease back into running on Friday with FJ. While I ran a little funny, with a strange cadence, I gradually felt more comfortable and felt good at the end. I had no problems with my knee in the hours right after the run. I even spent a couple of hours standing around the Echo during the Elvis Perkins show.

When I woke up on Saturday morning, though, my body was singing a new tune. My knee was hurting again, not as bad as the worst pain from the week before but still bad. I hobbled around today, and I'm sure I'll still be hobbling tomorrow. Perhaps it's just my body telling me to stop, begging for a break from all the pounding. So, to follow its wish and make sure my knee gets better, I'm going to lay off running and even the elliptical for the next two weeks. It's frustrating, but I'd rather my knee gets better rather than reaggravate it, which was likely what happened on Friday.

I'm fairly certain that I won't be running San Diego as a result. I'll be out of shape by the time I start running again, and I'm only going to have seven weeks to train. Not worth it. San Diego will have to wait another year. I'm considering San Francisco, but a better bet might just be to hold off until a fall race. More time to train.

I miss mobility. Please come back.

No comments: