Friday, March 30, 2007

Nice To Meet Ya, West Covina!

Here is the inaugural post in what I hope to be a semi-regular series on the city I grew up in. Considering all the years I've lived in West Covina, I really don't know the place very well. I don't hang out here a lot. I just live here and then go elsewhere for fun.

Hopefully, through research and mere curiosity, I can get to know this city a lot more and see how it has become what it is. Or, at the very least, figure out what it is.

I'll start it easy and just list some of the famous former residents of West Covina. A simple IMDB search reveals quite an impressive list of figures who were born or lived in West Covina.

The Hall of Fame
-Jason Giambi (baseball player)
-Tim Robbins (Oscar-winning actor/director/rabble-rouser)
-Troy Aikman (football player)
-Cory Lidle (baseball player; killed last year when the plane he piloted crashed into a highrise in Manhattan)
-Jeremy Miller (Ben from "Growing Pains")
-Willie Shoemaker (horse jockey; graduated from my high school!)*
-Vince Neil and Tommy Lee (Motley Crue bandmembers; both met at Charter Oak High School)*
-Hussein Mohamed Farrah (son of Somalian warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid; graduated from my high school)*

The last person I mentioned was interviewed on NPR a few months ago. Quite an interesting interview. He basically helped intervene during the Black Hawk Down disaster and now is back in Somalia working in government.

*Technically Covina, but we won't hold that against them.

No comments: