Thursday, March 01, 2007

MARATHON WATCH 2007: 4 Days...

I think my countdown is a little misleading. There are four days left if I include today, but only three if I don't. Either way, the race is this Sunday.

I was planning to rest up yesterday. I didn't run, but I wound up taking on a 5.5 mile hike up above Pasadena. I hiked up the Sam Merrill trail to the remnants of the White City on Echo Mountain. It took me two hours but you get wonderful views of the LA basin, especially yesterday when it was clear with just a few clouds. It's a fairly demanding hike, but it might be an option should I ever feel like taking on a hard run uphill.



Afterwards I drove over to Run With Us and picked up some four Clif Shots and a new pair of socks for the marathon. They were fairly busy at the store, a stark contrast to two or three weeks ago when I went into the store and found the employees lounging around with no customers to help. They practically tripped over each other to help me out.



Today I ran for the last time until the marathon. No more running until Sunday. I promise. I ran a little over three miles today and felt great. I think I will run without a Gatorade bottle this time. It really is a much more pleasant experience not having to hold something in your hand while you run. The course will be well-stocked with water and Gatorade. I'll just coincide my walk breaks with the water stations.

So, with the marathon just around the corner I'm getting anxious. It's the anticipation that's hard, but once you're out there pounding the pavement all nervousness goes away, replaced by bad aches and soreness that can make a blind man see.

No comments: