Tuesday, May 15, 2007

New York Times Wedding Announcement of the Week

It should be obvious by now that there are no guidelines by which I choose the NYTWAOTW. It's rather arbitrary, to be honest. This week's couple, for instance, was chosen because I like the groom's name.

Eliza Harringtonn and Minor Myers III

I'm not being snide when I say I like the groom's name. I truly do. If I was going to be snide I would have instead chosen the couple with a 34 year age gap (the groom is 66, the bride 32) or the couple who were married by film critic Jeffrey Lyons.

Minor is a terrific name. It not only sounds good--like an old Puritan name such as Goody or Increase--but it also looks good written out. I can't say the same for Major as a name, nor Mr. Myers's brother's name--Joffre. I'm not certain if it's pronounced like the ballet company or something more nasally French.


Joffre (on the left) and Minor the Third


Mr. Myers is the son of Minor Myers, Jr. who was the president of Illinois Wesleyan University and died in 2003 from lung cancer.

No comments: