Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!

This post has nothing to do with the NPR show. I just like the title and the show--that and the fact that life seems to be a waiting game at the moment. Then again when is it not?


I wanted to avoid any potential traffic issues in downtown yesterday, so rather than drive there I decided to take the train. I could have taken Metrolink from Industry, but where is the fun in that? I've taken that line many times. Rather, I tried out the Gold Line, which I've always wanted to try.

Quite a nice ride, the Gold Line is. It took me about thirty minutes altogether to go from Pasadena to Union Station to 7th/Metro. If only everything could be reached by rail lines I would gladly park my car for days on end.

The large crowds never materialized for the May Day rally, but there were some protesters on the train on their way to downtown. In fact, downtown was strangely quiet. I guess the authorities did a fabulous job in scaring everyone off.

Later on I headed to Arcadia for track training. However, when I got there, a track meet was in full effect at the high school. I was there a little early, so I watched some of the events. Some of these kids are fast! I was more surprised by those who didn't look fast but actually were. Some of the kids made it look easy, while others looked in pain. When I was in high school I didn't try out for track because I thought you had to be fast and skinny to be on the team. Seeing some of the participants yesterday I realized that it wasn't the case. If only I had tried out in high school I may have gotten a head start on my running.

Because of the track meet we improvised by running around the golf course in Arcadia. Running on the sidewalk was hard on the knees. They were vibrating by the time I was done. Even today they feel a little sore. It was a good workout, though, and I rewarded myself by joining the summer team at Dona Rosa for some machacas. Mmm, good.

No comments: