Monday, April 09, 2007

Hola, Gustavo

Esa-Pekka Salonen was a hunky young thing when he was named the conductor of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. I've never been to a Philharmonic performance but I recall gazing at Salonen's picture that accompanied a story in the Calendar section introducing him as the orchestra's new condcutor. He reminded me of Christian Bale from Newsies with his floppy hair. It's hard to believe that it has been fifteen years since then and Salonen is now 48.

The Times broke the news today that Salonen will be leaving the Philharmonic after the 2008-2009 season. A successor has already been chosen. Gustavo Dudamel, a product of the Venezuelan youth orchestra. He will be all of 28 when he takes over. Show-off.



I'm not crazy about the afro, but I'm sure a little bit of Hollywood touch-up and the Philharmonic will have another camera-ready conductor at its helm.

No comments: