Tuesday, April 24, 2007

If I had money enough and time...


Dreams...
Originally uploaded by noahwesley.
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned to a friend that I've been doing a lot of volunteering. She asked me how much I was getting paid. I told her I didn't get paid, hence the term "volunteer."

She was shocked. When I mentioned to her how much I would get paid for the same kind of work, she was even more aghast at how low it was.

The sad thing is I enjoy doing my volunteer work. Contrary to what others may believe, I enjoy working. I just prefer to do things I enjoy. The problem comes when I don't enjoy the work. If I had the resources I would volunteer full time. Heck, I'd work for cookies at a job I enjoy.

Sadly, that's not how it works. We all want to make more money. Money is pride. I'd like to say I was above it all, but I'm not. I continue to struggle over doing work that fulfills me and work that pays. In my current job search that's what I'm attempting to do. Whether I'll be successful remains to be seen.

No comments: