Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Save the National!



Westwood just keeps changing. I just read in Jeffrey Wells's "Hollywood Elsewhere" column that the Mann National will be closing. I don't know if the theatre has landmark status--I doubt it--but I would hate to see it torn down. At the same time, I really don't think it should be anything but a movie theatre. One of the few things I miss about Westwood is the moviegoing experience. Sitting in a single-screen theatre like the Village or the National is a wonderful experience and I never fail to imagine what it was like to see a movie there back in the glory days. I saw Saving Private Ryan there, and when my brother returned from the Philippines, I made a point of taking him there to see Gladiator so he can experience it too.

I admit I haven't seen a movie at the National in years. Living forty miles away in West Covina with its nearby multiplexes totaling 68 screens, it's just much to convenient to stay here. But I do miss it. While watching Zodiac I immediately recognized the National and missed it anew.

Even if the theatre closes I hope it's not torn down. I'm sad just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I used these great new shorts while running my first 10K last month. They're designed for the iPod user that enjoys an active lifestyle. The shorts have a pocket to hold your iPod and a system to contain the earphone cord. No more annoying cord in your face and catching on everything! You're free to safely and conveniently live your active lifestyle while listening to your music. I like to listen to hard rock while I run. It gets me pumped! Other iPod clothing and accessories are available as well on this site.

Digital Audio Wear

Check it out!