Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Save the National!



Westwood just keeps changing. I just read in Jeffrey Wells's "Hollywood Elsewhere" column that the Mann National will be closing. I don't know if the theatre has landmark status--I doubt it--but I would hate to see it torn down. At the same time, I really don't think it should be anything but a movie theatre. One of the few things I miss about Westwood is the moviegoing experience. Sitting in a single-screen theatre like the Village or the National is a wonderful experience and I never fail to imagine what it was like to see a movie there back in the glory days. I saw Saving Private Ryan there, and when my brother returned from the Philippines, I made a point of taking him there to see Gladiator so he can experience it too.

I admit I haven't seen a movie at the National in years. Living forty miles away in West Covina with its nearby multiplexes totaling 68 screens, it's just much to convenient to stay here. But I do miss it. While watching Zodiac I immediately recognized the National and missed it anew.

Even if the theatre closes I hope it's not torn down. I'm sad just thinking about it.

No comments: